Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Burton's Sports Complex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Guest 's Avatar

    Burton's Sports Complex

    From what i heard on the radio at the half.

    The sports complex will be from community donations and will take about $250,000 dollars to start.

    If all the donations are in and the money is there from the community and corporate donations.
    There is talk of letters to Oprah Winfrey and many others.
    Also all former alumni of JI Burton will get letters on what is going on and request for donations.

    Mrs. Harris was to give a link to the radio station to put out.

    Those behind the sports complex, are looking to start up construction, in May and be done by August.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Burton's Sports Complex

    I heard them say letters to Oprah and even Bill Gates.. that's crazy, but I hope it works out for them.
    Officially retired

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Burton's Sports Complex

    Yeah, I heard them talking to Ken about it on the radio at the half of the PV/CW game. And to think, if their looking for those donations, I guess the city doesn't have the money in place to do it themselves huh?

    mega, do we need to forward your paycheck to the JIB sports complex? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #4
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Burton's Sports Complex

    I heard they made over $3,000 this morning at the fundraising breakfast at Prime Sirloin in just over 3 hours.... There was an excellent turnout. I know there will be a few big companies(from conversations I heard today) in the area that throw out a large chunk of change for this and hopefully a lot of the alumni will donate.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  5. #5
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Burton's Sports Complex

    I hope they get the money to build it. I never know nothing. I just rattle on about things. But i do hope this does work out.
    It would be good to see these kids who have earned it get something back. And something nice for the school. Even if Burton does lose funding, and has to eventually come back into the county school system, at least they will have something that the kids earned. And the community paid for.
    Maybe it's something every school should look into. More community involvement and local company involvement.
    It's paid off big time for PV and Bigstone Gap.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Burton's Sports Complex

    PV's fan support is a joke in terms of loudness at games. Money support is great, I wish we could get more than just the big wigs at the games that way we could make some noise. Regional Championship game up there today and I felt like I was at a funeral. Hard to get upset though, I'm sure the money that has been donated has reflected the results on the field. One of the nicest weight rooms I've ever seen for a high school, plus the equipment PV has is similar to a college team. Wish there was a mix, or a way to have the money and the noise. Basketball is a joke at PV, I hope that changes. I know they dont get the money support the football team does, either sell season tickets for the middle section of the floor or start a student section there that way we can at least get some noise in there.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Burton's Sports Complex

    There wasn't a lot of noise. But it was a place where it definitely could of been. The atmosphere was great for it.
    I hear they may be looking at asking or petitioning, the VHSL to work something out, so state title games can be held at UVA-Wise.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Burton's Sports Complex

    I wish they would that would bring some good revenue in the area for that weekend. We have enough hotels, restaurants, etc. to accomodate a State Championship game, I would think
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Burton's Sports Complex

    I wish, honestly it should be rotated between the four regions. Play D1 at D while D2 at A, next year D2 at B with D1 at C, just rotate it like that. VHSL would get more money then as well. They'd have 6 state title sites instead of three.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •